Anesthesiology and intensive care
Anesthesiology and intensive care
Anesthesiology is a field of clinical medicine that studies the preparation of the patient for surgery, anesthesia and management of vital functions of the body during surgery.
What types of anesthesia are there in modern medicine? Which surgery uses certain types of pain relief?
Anesthesia or analgesia can be local and general (anesthesia)
For minor operations local anesthesia is usually used. It consists in the introduction of a syringe into the area of the performed operation or in the area of peripheral nerves controlling the pain sensitivity of the surgery area, a special substance, local anesthetic (lidocaine, xylocaine, marcaine, etc.), that excludes pain for some time.
During surgery under local anesthesia the patient is conscious, he sees and hears everything that is happening in the operating room.
Depending on the type of narcotic substance and the way of its introduction into the body of the patient distinguish:
- Inhalation anesthesia – drugs for anesthesia are introduced into the body exclusively through the respiratory tract.
- Non-inhalation anesthesia. Drugs are introduced into the body in all other ways. Depending on the introduction of anesthetic distinguish: intravenous, intramuscular, oral, rectal.
In the modern world, where we have the opportunity to do everything for the comfort of the patient, general anesthesia is used not only for major surgeries, but also for “small” operations, diagnostic procedures, cosmetic procedures, dentistry, etc.
At the Ishtar Clinic you can perform any procedure with sedation, if there are no contraindications.
Contraindications to general anesthesia are:
- full stomach;
- alcoholic intoxication;
- suppression of consciousness;
- allergy to the drug for anesthesia;
- severe form of bronchial asthma;
- decompensated pathology of internal organs (cardiovascular system, parenchymal organs);
- acute condition after suffering a myocardial infarction, stroke.
Before performing the procedure, the anesthesiologist must always talk with the patient. The doctor determines the general condition of the patient, the absence or presence of chronic diseases, detects the presence or absence of contraindications to anesthesia and selects the type of anesthesia most shown in this situation.
Sedation is a state of depression in which the patient is in a state of sleep, he does not feel pain, and does not remember the events associated with surgical manipulation. Awakening occurs 5 minutes after the end of the procedure. Within 15-20 minutes, consciousness is fully restored, and after 1.5-2 hours is allowed to drive a car.
How to determine when sedation will be useful in endoscopic or proctologic manipulation?
- If you do not want to remember what will happen during the procedure, if you prefer to stay out of everything that is happening. With procedures of this kind, feeling ashamed is natural, anesthesia helps to eliminate this factor.
- If you feel a strong fear of the specifics of the procedure: the introduction of foreign body, inflating air, biopsy.
- If you have a low pain threshold and previous research (even finger tests) caused severe pain with the formation of a further sense of dread.
- The presence of various types of strictures and pronounced inflammatory process in the anal-rectal area.
Teeth treatment with general anesthesia
The application of the sedation at the “Ishtar” clinic is a painless treatment of teeth with maximum comfort for the patient! Any surgery is performed only under the supervision of an anesthesiologist.
No special training is required during sedation. It is highly unrecommended to drink strong tea and coffee four hours before the procedure. It is also recommended that you abstain from alcohol the day before.
A pleasant half asleep is achieved with a number of sedatives. Depending on the nature of the necessary dental manipulations and the patient’s anamnesis, a particular drug and its dosage are determined. Drugs used in the treatment do not cause allergic reactions, do not belong to drugs, and do not cause addictive or serious side effects.